Saddleworth Players is a thriving amateur theatre company based in the Millgate Arts Centre, Delph. The Society produces five plays per season in a balanced portfolio which includes comedies, dramas, thrillers and farces. We aim to delight our audiences with well chosen plays brought to the stage with fun, enthusiasm and professionalism.
While we may, on occasion, audition children for specific parts in plays, our play selection, on the whole, is done with our adult membership in mind and there are few parts available for under 18s.
Rehearsals generally last for 2–3 hours for around seven weeks before a show on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday evenings. Performances run from Saturday to Saturday excluding Monday nights.
We also have regular play readings which take place from September to June, inclusively, on the first Tuesday evening each month, either in the bar lounge at The Millgate Arts Centre or in an alternative venue to avoid clashes with show nights. For more information contact Maurice Reid on 01457 874096.
Along with acting and directing our Members fill all manner of backstage and front of house roles such as:
- Technical: lighting and sound design and operation
- Set design, construction and set dressing
- Wardrobe: managing our collection and creating / providing costumes for performances
- Properties: managing our collection and creating / providing both rehearsal and performance props.
- Production assistant: helping the director with administration and communication
- Stage manager: ensuring the smooth running of the show during performance week
- Front of house: including box office, programme and ice-cream selling, ushering, making and serving interval coffee
- Bar: providing pre-show, interval and post-show drinks as either bar servers or bar leaders
- Marketing: designing and running social media campaigns to support our shows, and writing and publishing our newsletter, SP News
How to become a member
It is simple and free! Follow the link to fill in a membership form to let us know how you would like to become involved. You will then be contacted by the Membership Secretary and your details passed to the relevant departments. You don’t need to be an expert in any of the on-stage or off-stage roles, just bring enthusiasm and a desire to learn on the job as part of a dedicated and sociable team. If you’re interested in acting, be prepared to attend an initial audition.