With a history that goes back almost 100 years with the touring Saddleworth Players but with a forward looking view to develop the next generation of our creative community. We are a Creative Community that supports and develops all elements of the Creative Arts in Saddleworth
- Local Amateur and Professional Drama from Yorkshire, London & Edinburgh Fringe
- Play reading Groups
- Music : Classical Concert Music, Brass Orchestra, Millgate Night at the Proms, Cabaret.
- Film Society showing 10 cult films per season
- Venue for Exhibitions of local Artists / Photographers
- Schools and Youth groups supported through use of the Theatre and Local Duke of Edinburgh Award volunteering / skills schemes.
- Costume Loan / Hire for other local Theatre Groups
- Bar hire for parties (including a 100thBirthday Party in July)
- Delph Library provides a local service for reading and book loan, for old and young in Delph
We have over 400 active members involved in running the Arts Centre as Cast, Crew, including Sound & Lighting, Costumes, Set Design as well as Publicity, Front of House, Subscribers and Friends. Our young members have gone on to study at Central in London, Oxford Drama School, and New York to name a few. If you would like to become an active member contact our membership secretary Andrew Mann on email@example.com or Ian Shepherd on 01457 874644
We’ve had over 10,000 Audience visits with 80 shows in 2017/18 season and we have 100 shows planned in 2018/19 from all ages from Infant & Primary school age through to 100year old adults. We have also catered for disabled access and have a stair lift, disabled toilets and hearing loop in the theatre.
Millgate Arts Centre is a registered Charity that manages and funds the repair, maintenance & development of the 1880s Coop building with its striking Clock Tower a key Landmark in Delph
- Built the stage and Auditorium in 1970s
- Rebuilt the basement / dry-lined and developed first-class changing room / Green room / costume store in 2016-17-18
- Repaired the outer Stone-work in 2015
- Replacing the 100 year old Slate Roof to protect the theatre from Pennine weather in 2018
We are also a charity that gives back: supporting 5 Charity Nights in Saddleworth Players shows raising £25,000 in last 5 years for local Charities.
Future development is to repair and refurbish the auditorium
replacing the ceiling, new lighting, decoration, and carpets, improved view by changing the raking of seats, alterations to the stage lighting, rebuilding the technical (sound & lighting ) box), improving safety & Access for All standards and finally replacing the Edwardian cinema seats with comfortable and more flexible theatre seats to cater for the wide needs of the Saddleworth Creative Community